Why picking your battles can make you a happier person!
6 December, 2016
Picking your battles is actually a battle in itself…and no I am not talking about Pokemon Go!
I know for me, I come across as a positive and fun soul but just scratching off the surface of who I am, is a feisty girl who quite easily flies off the handle and let’s anger take over, especially when I am being judged, or there is an unfair situation or I am being second guessed on the work that I am trained to do.
Unfortunately, in the past I never knew HOW to pick my battles so I fought with everything and everyone on anything! It made me a negative, unhappy and an angry person. My anger was pushing people and situations further away than I could ever imagine. I am not that girl now however I see it in a lot of people still, and hey, it’s pretty exhausting fighting the world, life and everybody in it!
SO…picking your battles actually can make you a happier person, because if you are constantly fighting against things, you end up in a negative space. It doesn’t mean you have LOST…it just means you have gained a little extra slice of positivity, and also, maturity!!
Don’t know how to pick your battles? Whether if it’s with a family member or at work, here’s a few tips to get you started…
- Back it up…think the issue through before reacting!
- Assess the issue and weigh up if it is WORTH an argument or confrontation? If it really isn’t that important, find your focus elsewhere and just walk away!
- Talk calmly, do not yell and scream. Your action can cause a very negative reaction.
- Can the issue be solved together? Could you look at it from both point of views and perhaps come up with a compromise?
- Choose your words carefully – see tip 1, when you step back and take a moment, your words and manner becomes calmer.
Picking a battle really does take a lot of time and effort to nail, it’s taken me years to realise (And it wasn’t because people told me, I HAD to see it for myself). But hopefully a few pointers in the right direction can help you to live a happier, fulfilling life without having to worry about the exhaustion that comes with fighting with everything and everyone!