How to handle anxiety (through your diet!)
20 March, 2017
Anxiety + Depression is caused by many things.
It’s CRAZY how many times I mention to my friends and family that food can play a huge factor on how your mind, brain, AND inner body works!
OK, so it isn’t going to stop your depression and anxiety alone BUT it will definitely factor into you feeling a little better so eventually that energy comes back, you smile a little more than you frown and the feelings inside start to be more positive over negative.
I obviously think that a natural remedy is better than medication, if you can create your diet to reflect a healthier one, as well as adding in some form of yoga or meditation I can guarantee you will start to see some more positive signs in your life.
Here are a FEW little things to think about…
- Eat a breakfast that includes some protein, eggs oats, greek yoghurt, almonds!
- Eat complex carbohydrates, these are made up of sugar molecules that are strung together in long, complex chains. Complex carbohydrates are found in foods such as peas, beans, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water, keep your brain and mind hydrated as well as your body! Also it helps with any form of tiredness and headaches.
- Limit or avoid alcohol, it’s a no brainer, alcohol is a depressant, perhaps only drink alcohol every 3rd day if you are an every day kind of person, then start to wean yourself off even more as time goes on.
- Limit or avoid caffeine, much like the above, is it time to change to decaf? I did it – it’s EASY!!! Because you are still drinking the same thing it just isn’t going to effect you as much!
- Pay attention to food sensitivities, gluten, caffeine, dairy, get some tests to recognise what you may be sensitive to.
- Eat more fish, salmon, tuna, trout, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and sardines all have Omega-3 in them, these can be uplifting and enhance your mood.
- Avoid fast food, sugars and deep fried food, we all know why! No nutrition means you are just filling a hole in your belly that will not help you!