10 AMAZING uses for coconut oil
27 October, 2016
Coconut oil may have only just seemed like a great idea in recent years however it’s been around forever and it’s proving to be that product “that i use for everything” – similar to how my Mum says that “Man-n-beast” fixes everything (a very old antiseptic oil that was lathered on us as children – AND the dog, hence the man AND beast haha)
I wanted to give you some of the reasons why I use coconut oil, and that being said note that coconut oil can have it’s downfalls if you are not purchasing fair trade / organic. Just a little side note that buying coconut products that are certified organic helps ensure that the local ecology and people weren’t put at risk from chemical fertilizers and pesticides. My biggest tip is to not go for the cheapest, check the back of your oils for the right messages and logos.
- Deep conditioning treatment – lather it on the ends of your hair and massage through your scalp. Wrap your hair and leave it on over night then wash like normal in the morning for silky smooth locks! (This is especially good for blonds and frizzy hair AKA: me)
- Lip balm – not only does it taste delish, it’s also a great moisturiser for cracked lips – ESPECIALLY throughout winter and season change! Like right now!
- Teeth whitening/oil pulling – coconut oil possesses anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which makes it great for treating mouth bacteria and removing plaque. Just swish a teaspoon of coconut oil around your mouth for 20 minutes then spit it out. While I was sick, i did this a few times to get rid of any bacteria lurking in my mouth!
- Makeup Remover – it’s possibly the best kind for me because after you wash off with warm water, you still have residue as a face moisturiser! It’s the BEST for eye makeup remover – it actually seeps into your eyelashes and makes them healthy and promotes growth – BONUS!!!
- Body lotion – self explanatory really, however if you have a dachshund that also loves coconut oil, you may get some dog licks on your legs and arms when you least expect it!
- Great for dogs – a spoonful in their food daily actually helps with their bones and promotes a shiny and healthy coat! Especially through the colder months.
- Shaving cream – it prevents rough friction and also a moisturiser that’s left on your legs after!
- Exfoliation – mix some sugar with coconut oil to make a face scrub! YUM!!
- Cooking – an obvious, but it’s a great way to add a slight nutty taste in cooking, we use it in a frying pan instead of regular oil for this reason alone. It’s especially good with fish!
- Add to drinks – any drinks!! Smoothies, coffee, tea – it adds a delicious flavour and also coats your lips at the same time!
Now that you are fully equipped with 10 things to use coconut oil for, you can purchase from any health food shop or the health food section at your local supermarket. Just make sure they are ethically produced coconut oils (Help the environment and those that work on our earth) 🙂